Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Canadian Rockies - Days 1 and 2 (Calgary)

The start of a memorable trip can begin with a tiring journey. Often, to reach the most divine places, you have to, as the phrase goes, "climb a mountain". And enduring a 25-hour journey (that includes a halt of five hours, approximately) sure feels like one.

I flew Lufthansa Mumbai - Frankfurt - Mumbai and Air Canada on Frankfurt - Canada - Frankfurt. Air Canada was decent. I did not like Lufthansa. My ticket was a code share ticket, so Lufthansa appears to treat its code-share flights like second class citizens. It does not allow us to select seats or do a web check-in. I faced the danger of being assigned a middle seat. I threw a fit at the Mumbai airport and then they offered me an upgrade (paid, not free) to premier economy. I took it and the seat was comfortable but I almost froze to death. It was the coldest cabin I have ever travelled in. My first- but very anticipated- experience with Lufthansa was unimpressive. 


Centre Street Bridge, Calgary

Anyways, Calgary was warm and welcoming. The airport is minimalistic, but clean. Immigration queues are short as the airport is small and the staff is friendly. I got into an interesting discussion with my immigration officer about India and Pakistan celebrating 71 years of independence. Calgary, as a town, looks very vast area wise but spread out and sparely populated. 




Buffalo cafe, founded in 1886, at Eau Claire market, Calgary downtown



Buffalo Cafe

My hotel was in downtown, so getting around on my own for the first two days was easy. The riverfront offers nice vistas and an awesome place to walk and bike. After a scrumptious and early morning breakfast at the Buffalo Cafe (this one's got to be one of Calgary's best breakfast places) in the Eau Claire market area , I did biking. It is always a pleasure to cycle in foreign countries, where road manners are there, people have the courtesy to halt at traffic signals and allow others to go first. 

Rented a bike, drove along the riverside up to Bow Valley collage, crossed over to the other side of Bow river, then drove back to the direction of Eau Claire market, on the Memorial Drive, past Prince's Island Park, Peace Bridge, up to 14th Street Bridge, crossed over it and back to Eau Claire Market. A short stroll inside Prince Island's park followed. There was an Italian festival, so part of the park was shut. 

Later in the evening, we had a get-together with our tour group (Gate1 travels) and then went out again with a stroll with my friend, went up to the Calgary tower to enjoy sunset vistas of the town from up above.





That's my bike




Canadian Rockies: Days 11-13 (Vancouver)

Canadian Rockies: Day 11 (Victoria whale watching)

Canadian Rockies: Day 10 (Victoria)

Canadian Rockies: Day 9 (Jasper)

Canadian Rockies: Day 8 (Jasper)

Canadian Rockies: Day 7 (Lake Loiuse)

Canadian Rockies: Day 6 (Banff national park)

Canadian Rockies: Day 5 (Banff)

Canadian Rockies: Day 4 (Glacier National Park)

Canadian Rockies: Day 3 (Waterton)

Canadian Rockies: Days 1 and 2 (Calgary)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Has Novak Djokovic left the US Open ghost behind?

It's not just tennis that's back. Even Novak Djokovic is back after being kicked out of the US Open earlier this month. Last week, h...